WE MOVED!

Thanks for visiting Cardinal Diamond Diaries. If you our finding our site for the first time or returning after a break, please check out our NEW location at DiamondDiaries.net

Monday, October 11, 2010

UCB Roundtable - Day 4

Welcome to Monday's Girl Talk... except, this week, we let the boys join in! Before you gasp in shock, let me explain. Each year the United Cardinal Bloggers does a roundtable discussion in October, with the bloggers taking turns asking a question. Today is ladies's day, so read through our question and the boys of the UCB answers, then head over to the UCB website and check out the full calendar of questions and sites. Enjoy!


Our question won't surprise most of you, given our love of the Baby Birds. We wanted to know which of our beloved Baby Birds that were wandering the grass of Busch Stadium throughout the year should be looked at as permanent members of the squad next year, either as regulars or bench guys. We also asked which players should get the longest looks in the spring and which of the boys the team should (*gasp*) cut ties with, whether through trades or releasing them. I included the names Daniel Descalso, Allen Craig, Mark Hamilton, Fernando Salas, Joe Mather, Tyler Greene, Matt Pagnozzi and Bryan Anderson, but the responses threw out a couple other names as well. I'll toss it over to the boys, then chime in with my thoughts at the end...

Daniel (C70 At The Bat)
I think Salas has established himself as a strong bullpen presence and should be a front-runner for a bullpen slot next year.  Craig looks like he's good for at least a platoon slot in the outfield and Descalso should be a capable bench guy, though I'm not completely sold on him taking over second for Schumaker.

As for the catchers, I think they should keep Bryan Anderson; it's obvious they are going to keep Matt Pagnozzi.  Anderson needs to be traded, because he's not going to get the shot he needs in St. Louis.

The rest, I don't mind having them in the system, don't mind them getting spot time in the bigs, but if the club can get something for them, so be it.
Dennis (Pitchers Hit Eighth)
The one player who I think should be penciled in as a regular next year is Salas. I believe that his 30 innings pitched represent just large enough a sampling to pass judgment on him, and his 3.52 ERA is lower than both Boggs and Miller. I'd like to see Craig make the team as well, but I have reservations about his ability to be effective as a platoon player or pinch hitter.  He seems like he's best suited for an everyday slot that affords him 500+ plate appearances a year.  Unless a slot opens due to trade/injury, I just don't see that opportunity there for him right now. 
The situation at catcher deserves some real consideration.  At 23, Anderson should probably be the catcher of the future.  If Pagnozzi is the backup coming out of spring training, and the Cardinals force Yadi to sit more games, the trade value for Pagnozzi could rise.  Pagnozzi could be traded by the deadline, and Anderson could be bumped up.  If needed, Descalso may be a viable option at 2B, but I haven't seen enough of him to feel comfortable writing his name in the lineup there.  As for Green (27), Hamilton (26), and Mather (28), they are starting to feel like "players to be named later".
Pip (Fungoes)
One player who showed some promise in limited action was Daniel Descalso. He demonstrated excellent plate discipline and offers versatility at two positions where the team has the most doubts, second base and third base. Assuming he's not traded this winter, Bryan Anderson should get some exposure not for a spot on the 25-man roster but in order to showcase his talent for a trade.

Which players should the team consider cutting ties with, whether through trades or releasing them?
Anderson, certainly, because he is blocked as both a starting catcher and a backup. Craig and Mather offer largely the same skill set, so the team needs only one. And depending on what happens with Albert Pujols, Mark Hamilton will either be superfluous or a good-buy (and goodbye) replacement.
Joseph (The McBrayer-Baseball Blog)
Joey Bombs Mather, may not get anything in return.
Dustin (Welcome To Baseball Heaven)
As far as guys who could become permanent members of the squad next year I'm leaning towards Salas, Pagnozzi and Allen Craig. Fernando established himself as a viable option out of the pen as a middle reliever this past season. I could be wrong but I'm assuming with a solid spring that Matt Pagnozzi will be Yadi's backup next year. I'm thinking Allen Craig will get the nod over Joe Mather as an outfield bench option. I'd also like to see Descalso get a long look next spring as a utility guy in the infield.
That leaves names such as Mather and Greene on the outside looking in. I do bounce back and forth a lot on what to do with Craig and Mather, but the organization needs to make a choice and possibly move one. As far as Tyler Greene I just don't know. He seems to have a never ending case of the yips every time he makes an appearance in St. Louis. 
Mark (RetroSimba)
Salas should help the bullpen in 2011. He could be an upgrade over Hawksworth. Craig is a better hitter and run producer than he showed in the majors this year. He should have a role as a bench player with St. Louis in 2011. Descalso should compete for a utilityman role.

I agree that Anderson should be given a long look in the spring, and Cards should make a decision to keep him or trade him.

I agree that Mather and Hamilton have no futures with this club, and should be traded.
Tom (Cardinals GM)
Salas is in. He looked sharp and deserves a bullpen shot. Craig I would keep as an extra outfielder,. He show the prowess to get some hits and a spot starter. 
After that, I am not handing out spots just yet. I believe the backup to Molina will be/and needs to be a veteran (can you insert walkaway Dioner Navarro here?) Pagnozzi needs more daily reps in Memphis. Anderson needs to be somewhere else, in a package trade and Delscaso just needs to show us in Spring Training he is ready. The rest can play AAAA ball
Cole (Redbird Report)

I'd say Fernando Salas. He was solid just about every time he stepped out there this year. Also, you can't ignore his 19 saves and 0.98 WHIP that he posted in AAA this season. He clearly has good stuff, and it wasn't just at the minor league level.
In 27 games with the Cardinals, Salas posted a 3.52 ERA and struck out 29 in 30.2 innings pitched. With Franklin aging (and struggling) I wouldn't be surprised to see Salas get looks in the ninth inning next year. He'll certainly be an eighth inning guy at the very least. 
Bill (I-70 Baseball)

I am of the belief that a good portion of the Cardinals Minor League system are nothing more than career minor leaguers.  
Craig, Mather, Greene could all be traded or cut loose and I honestly would not notice or care (sorry, Erika).
That being said, as for "long looks" next Spring, I would like to see Descalso, Anderson, and Pagnozzi be given every opportunity to play themselves out of a job.  Fernando Salas needs to be a part of this bullpen.  
Hamilton is intriguing, but projects as a first baseman.  Let's hope he's blocked. 
Finally, I think there are a few guys that need to get a look in Spring to determine where they belong this year.  Guys like Matt Carpenter and Darryl Jones need to be evaluated and determine where there future is and how quickly it is coming. 
Goodness. Not much love for some of our favorite Baby Birds, is there? Last I checked Erika hadn't read any of these responses... I think we should all be crossing our fingers that she hasn't made it this far into today's post. If she has, sorry dear, but I'm going to probably agree with all of the above. 


I want Pags and Anderson given shots to make it on the roster as Yadi's back-up, but whichever one doesn't make it should probably just be traded ASAP, because it's not worth keeping them both around anymore. 


I think Descalso will become next year's Tyler Greene if he doesn't make the roster. He'll be the first one up to be the bench guy. In all honesty I want him to have a strong spring and oust Skippy for second base, but I'm not sure he'll get that much of a chance.


Salas is here to stay. He put it a lot of miles this year between Memphis and St. Louis, and played well everywhere he went. Keep him around.


Craig needs consistent playing time. If he can get it in St. Louis and finally put up the numbers he's been putting up in Memphis he'll stick. If not, sayonara


The rest? You all know I love Joe Mather, but I don't see him ever being anything more than a AAAA guy (*sheds a tear*). Tyler Greene has never impressed me at the big league level. Ever. His defense isn't as good as Brendan, his bat isn't as good as Skip, and I have to believe that there will be someone standing at third not named Tyler Greene. I like the look of Mark Hamilton, but if he is manning first for the Cardinals in the coming years, that means Albert is not. I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with that idea.


Now, we just included players that were actually on the big league squad at some point this year. There are still plenty of names and faces coming up through the ranks of the Cardinal minor league system... but it might be awhile before the calvary comes riding in. Just sayin'. 


Thanks to Daniel and the rest of the UCB team for letting us join in on the fun, and be sure to check in over at the official site to see some of our responses to other questions throughout the month of October! Oh hey, while I've got you here, yesterday my newest post went up at I-70 Baseball, checking out the Cardinals from 1900-1905. Give it a look and let me know what you think!

1 comment:

avandia lawsuit